Sign in to follow this  
Doc

Comp Hill Closure

I think it may already be a bit late to save Olds.  Now that the 'truck punk' types have seen that they can make the trek out there, do you think they're going to voluntarily submit to random police searches and seizure of their booze and drugs?  Heck no, they'll keep heading to Olds, while the bulk of the LEOs patrol Comp.  That said, I still support an open Comp and think any curfew anywhere essentially constitutes closure, and I don't want to see any duner groups sanctioning any kind of closure.  Props to ASA for their stance on this one. thumb.gif

As far as the 'alcohol inititave,' I've been hearing about that since the SD ASA meeting last summer.  All I know is that it's supposed to be a nationwide program on all BLM land, that LEOs are being encouraged to adopt a 'zero tolerance' policy and issue more 502s.  I think Budweiser is sponsoring the effort, with a slogan something like "Taste our beer, you won't mind giving up drinking so much!"

pimp.gif

980826[/snapback]

laughing.gif

if you cant there through the dunes you should not be able to go there just close off sand high way into comp.

Pinch points can...and DID work. Everyone agreed - the LEO's the BLM the orgs - they all praised how well the pinch points were working the year that they were tried before the ICBOS got involved and passes the ill-researched unnecessary resolution closing comp that only served to make things worse (IMHO).

The took a small manageable problem and spread it to a larger area in places harder to enforce. Of course that gave the IC Sherrif just what he wanted - an excuse to get more $$$ for new toys.

Even if re-opening comp means the "punks" still want to head to olds as long as the pinch points at olds are brought back they'll still solve the problems. Because those people still end up using the sand highway and going past comp on their way to olds (at least the ones camped at Gecko which seems to be where the majority of them camp.)

Reopening comp and brining back the pinch points on the sand highway can save BOTH comp and olds.

As for the Alcohol initiative....it's been discussed many times in the past. PSD got it pretty much right - it's a nationwide BLM thing to raise awareness and hopefully get the rangers to do more than just make drunks pour out their beer and let them drive away without so much as a sobriety check. (I've seen it happen many times - someone barely able to stand they're so wasted gets pulled over with an open container....DUI is too much papework so they're alowed to drive away after pouring out the open container and not even a ticket!)

As for "comp" not being much competition. Maybe not...but just because you don't like the name dosn't mean it shouldn't be re-opened! Having seen those videos of the Wide World of Sports races at comp in the 60's I think the old timers have some active imaginations when they say it used to be bigger or steeper. The higher power better suspended vehicles we have now have just warped our view of what "big" and "steep" are icon_biggrin.gif

I personally like a little nostalgia from time to time. Just because it isn't a hard climb anymore dosn't mean it should have it's name changed. Makes people forget where we came from and when we start down that road it's all to easy to start repeating mistakes of the past...a mistake off roaders can't afford to make or we'll find ourselves with no land open to anything anywhere!

Not to mention that with Comp hill right by the highway, it will always attract the type of persons that closed it down.  angryfire.gif

Absolutely.

But many believe it will also be much easier to control than Olds.

Pinch points, proactive law enforcement presence, etc.

Vicki

980736[/snapback]

I agree wilth the above on the pinch points etc.

As for Comp....well....our tradition USED to be, after TG dinner EVERYONE headed over to Comp, to socialize and watch....'till it just got to crazy...

Hopefully, it can get back closer to what it once was.

Pinch points can...and DID work.  Everyone agreed - the LEO's the BLM the orgs - they all praised how well the pinch points were working the year that they were tried before the ICBOS got involved and passes the ill-researched unnecessary resolution closing comp that only served to make things worse (IMHO).

The took a small manageable problem and spread it to a larger area in places harder to enforce.  Of course that gave the IC Sherrif just what he wanted - an excuse to get more $$$ for new toys. 

Even if re-opening comp means the "punks" still want to head to olds as long as the pinch points at olds are brought back they'll still solve the problems.  Because those people still end up using the sand highway and going past comp on their way to olds  (at least the ones camped at Gecko which seems to be where the majority of them camp.)

Reopening comp and brining back the pinch points on the sand highway can save BOTH comp and olds.

As for the Alcohol initiative....it's been discussed many times in the past.  PSD got it pretty much right - it's a nationwide BLM thing to raise awareness and hopefully get the rangers to do more than just make drunks pour out their beer and let them drive away without so much as a sobriety check.  (I've seen it happen many times - someone barely able to stand they're so wasted gets pulled over with an open container....DUI is too much papework so they're alowed to drive away after pouring out the open container and not even a ticket!)

As for "comp" not being much competition.  Maybe not...but just because you don't like the name dosn't mean it shouldn't be re-opened!  Having seen those videos of the Wide World of Sports races at comp in the 60's I think the old timers have some active imaginations when they say it used to be bigger or steeper.  The higher power better suspended vehicles we have now have just warped our view of what "big" and "steep" are icon_biggrin.gif 

I personally like a little nostalgia from time to time.  Just because it isn't a hard climb anymore dosn't mean it should have it's name changed.  Makes people forget where we came from and when we start down that road it's all to easy to start repeating mistakes of the past...a mistake off roaders can't afford to make or we'll find ourselves with no land open to anything anywhere!

980935[/snapback]

Very good post, except for that part, not sure how accurate it is.

[

beer.gif

980609[/snapback]

This "wanna be" has only missed one season since 83' (that first war in 90/91) loves comp and all the sillyness that goes on at night. Guess someday I will learn to be a real duner. shock.gif

980831[/snapback]

bandit.gif

GOOD LUCK ON THAT ..... laughing.gifdude.gif

I don't think any of our dunes should be closed, just better controlled.... the fact that it got so far out of control to begin with thefinger.gif It wasn't me and my sons that came in late to the game, that got it closed.

We , me and my sons, would go to Hill 3-4 and 5 and they were riding a Raptor 80 and a Breeze...... that was a lot of fun and no hassles. Now they do ride bigger bikes, both on 450's and we just get there a little faster and have better races around the bowls and up the REAL HILLS.

I keep hearing about "THE WALL" or I guess hill 6... maybe one day we will see that too.

Until, KEEP ON DUNING........ BE SMART AND SAFE........

beer.gif AND monkeedance2.gif AT FIRE TIME.

Jason makes a good point about the pinch points deterring traffic from Olds as well, but I would think you'd put one on Oldsmobile road, since the majority of the troublemakers are going to be rolling in that way. The Geckoites would be on the pavement anyway if they're headed all the way out to Olds. And what's with the west side duner hate? icon_sad.gif

As far as the alcohol, I've never witnessed anything I would consider underenforcement, but then again I haven't been in the game long and I try to get away from the vicinity of trouble before it comes to a head...

I could be wrong about the majority of trouble makers coming from Gecko and I'll admit it.

My comments are based on my own observations having watched the flow of vehicles along the sand highway. I've camped along the sandhighway east of comp in the treest near the turn for olds and what I saw was primarially buggies bikes and quads - yet when I'd get to comp it was full of trucks. Since they didn't come in past my camp along the sandhighway I have to naturally assume they come from Gecko.

My other usual campspot at Glamis is further south along the sandhighway to olds. Once comp was closed that spot was ruined though. Before the comp closure it was a great place to camp. Now it's flat out dangerous with all the trucks flying literally through our camp trying to get around each other. And most of them sure seem to make a left turn when they get to 78.

That isn't to say that the people who camp at Gecko are all trouble makers. That isn't my intention at all and I appologize if anyone read it that way.

But it is the "easiest" place for someone without much off road experience or people not wanting to "rough it" to camp. So it dosn't surprise me that it tends to be the place where the people just there to party and cause mayhem would stay. If anything that makes me feel sorry for the duners who (for some reason I still can't fathom icon_biggrin.gif) enjoy "camping" over there.

I have no problem with people who want to come to the dunes just to watch and/or party. As long as they do so responsibly and in a way that dosn't detract from anyone elses ability to enjoy the dunes. It's public land and all should be welcome there whether they want to ride or just watch those who are man enough to ride.

It's the ones who leave piles of cans and/or bottles behind, the ones who drive drunkenly through crowds and camp, the ones who dig trenches and try to set peoples vehicles on fire, the ones who look for fights to start. The ones who could care less if their actions get it all closed down because they'll just go somewhere else to party and could care less about loosing a world class recreation area. Those are the people I can't stand - and it really pisses me off when the LEO's are more interested in busting some kids for the "crime" of having two people on a quad which only puts themselves in danger than actually doing their job and busting people who are putting everyone at risk and breaking dozens of rules in the process.

I'm just stirring the pot with the Gecko stuff... icon_biggrin.gif Notice I said 'west side duners,' because I've always been a canal camper, where it's more remote than a lot of spots in the trees. I'm obsessive about staying away from crowds, and to me the washes and surrounding areas are too crowded. It's getting that way on the canal most big weekends now, so unfortunately I may be driving farther down the road or looking for yet another spot to maybe find my seclusion.

As far as the people coming from the washes being in buggies and on quads, the truck folks from the washes would probably shoot straight out to the road and dive off the highway at Osborne or somewhere else near Comp. Same thing with our group, because we normally send a truck or two out to the hill to carry a cooler, chairs, firewood, trashbags, and potentially a broken-down bike. Having one comes in handy, since more than once we've been told by a ranger someone in our party would get ticketed if caught riding a bike with no whip (all three instances the whip broke on the ride from camp to the hill).

But it is the "easiest" place for someone without much off road experience or people not wanting to "rough it" to camp.

How about all the ones that camped along the shoulder of HWY 78 before it was posted? blink.gif

That was absolutely insane.

Pinch-point all with a flat-bill, Jesse James and Metal M anything and you will get back to normal in one season.

Pinch-point all with a flat-bill, Jesse James and Metal M anything and you will get back to normal in one season.

981169[/snapback]

bandit.gif

Notworthy.gifbeer.gif

But I'm okay to keep rocking Skin, SRH, and Seedless? Or should anyone that wears any brand/fashion of clothing that gained popularity post-1990 be harassed?

Just Flat Billers, Jesse James clones and Metal M. freaks............I could care less if you wear bell bottoms and dance to Saturday Night Fever, as those are no risk to my lifestyle in the dunes and the others are.

'Flat Biller'.... hah, I still laugh every time I hear that! laughing.gif

You'd be surprised how many times I've been approached in a parking lot by kids identifying themselves as being with "the Mulisha" or "we're Metal Mulisha." They always have some sort of electronics "that we scored at a killer deal and we're just trying to pass on." I sh*t you not, this has happened to me like four times in the past year. Not that I was a Mulisha fan before, but that kinda sums up my experience with, and opinion of, anyone supporting their 'cause.' rolleyes.gif

pimp.gif

As far as the 'alcohol inititave,' I've been hearing about that since the SD ASA meeting last summer.  All I know is that it's supposed to be a nationwide program on all BLM land, that LEOs are being encouraged to adopt a 'zero tolerance' policy and issue more 502s.  I think Budweiser is sponsoring the effort, with a slogan something like "Taste our beer, you won't mind giving up drinking so much!"

pimp.gif

980826[/snapback]

Aside from the Budweiser jab icon_biggrin.gif this is correct, as was just confirmed by the BLM.

Why am I so dogged about this? Because I just don't think we need any pretty new laws (or BLM "policies") to address our worst issues... and consistent clarification helps drive that point home.

Vicki

The slogan was a joke, but to my understanding Anheiser-Busch actually is sponsoring the program. I could be wrong...

Or should anyone that wears any brand/fashion of clothing that gained popularity post-1990 be harassed?

981210[/snapback]

Yes.

Don't worry, by the time I come to power I'm going to have everyone over 60 exterminated. Excuse me, euthanized. You'll be that old before I'm old enough to rule you. icon_biggrin.gif

The slogan was a joke, but to my understanding Anheiser-Busch actually is sponsoring the program.  I could be wrong...

982498[/snapback]

PSD, you come up with some funny stuff, probably because unlike Clinton, you do inhale. pimp.giflaughing.gif

Pinch points do work, before they closed comp down, they used them for like a month or so. I went to comp one night during this time, it was like the old days. People socializing and enjoying the nighttime festivities. No punk racing or walking around looking for trouble.

PSD, let me know when you plan to come into power 25bangin.gif

But it is the "easiest" place for someone without much off road experience or people not wanting to "rough it" to camp.

How about all the ones that camped along the shoulder of HWY 78 before it was posted? blink.gif

That was absolutely insane.

981165[/snapback]

that took me back a few.

They actually used them for a number of months Alex and they worked GREAT-there were a number of times we returned to Comp later that season and it was actually FUN to be there. Easter weekend was the quietest "holiday" weekend I had ever seen. Of course, since it was working, they had to go ahead and break it icon_mad.gif