Honda Talons - Let’s see them

On 4/2/2022 at 2:53 PM, Schmidty said:

Finally had a chance to work on it an finish it up..The dirty filter pic shows just just how plowed the OEM filter gets in just a hundred & 50 miles or so..hoping this keeps it much cleaner longer.. I did have to relocate the airbox sensor & extend the wire.. 

EB9D7562-47B0-45FE-BD3B-FDAE1664A74E.jpeg

6D4DEDF1-16C2-42A1-8A5D-F8C8E6CEB3C9.jpeg

D87D839B-057A-46FE-A88F-24BE367292C3.jpeg

050E4417-2668-4D1B-91FE-E7555620E62C.jpeg

55E7F1F9-B943-4F8B-9711-EFF3955E78CA.jpeg

That looks good. 
Very clean work. 

I love the Donaldson filter on my YXZ, just blow and go, much more surface area over the stock dual filters, no icky sticky, no 2 hour process to get the secondary out and back in.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, Schmidty said:

Next to rewire the gauge cluster relocate..tagged wires prior to surgery.

CF501632-9AAC-4176-B63B-3DBFB021ECB6.jpeg

I don’t know where you’re relocating your gauge cluster to, but I relocated mine to the steering column and only had to cut and lengthen two wires. 
I posted some info on it in this thread on February 11th. It’s been working good since then. 

On 4/5/2022 at 6:05 PM, FOG said:

I don’t know where you’re relocating your gauge cluster to, but I relocated mine to the steering column and only had to cut and lengthen two wires. 
I posted some info on it in this thread on February 11th. It’s been working good since then. 

Know it can work, but I did the math, and to me, it looked like the wire was going to end up being a little strained , and basically unsupported and under tension. Bouncing long term, I feel extending the loom, and  having the wire bundle properly supported the entire way, with zero tension on it is not going to leave me stranded somewhere in a worse case scenario. It took a little bit more time to solder and heat shrink, but its now bulletproof.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 6:49 AM, Schmidty said:

Know it can work, but I did the math, and to me, it looked like the wire was going to end up being a little strained , and basically unsupported and under tension. Bouncing long term, I feel extending the loom, and  having the wire bundle properly supported the entire way, with zero tension on it is not going to leave me stranded somewhere in a worse case scenario. It took a little bit more time to solder and heat shrink, but its now bulletproof.

Good call. 
What kit did you end up with?

Don’t forget the pictures. 

8 hours ago, FOG said:

Good call. 

bought a shroud off of ebay to relocate cluster to the steering stem. it came with 2 pieces of low quality wire 16" long and a couple of solder/shrink connectors (which IMHO are junk btw). Car is getting wrapped, so I don't have it to take pictures. There are 10 wires going there total, so I actually got (2) 5 wire trailer kits, and it actually worked out perfect for length, plus I now have a plug disconnect in the middle if ever needed. just engraved them individually to match them up. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 6:55 PM, Schmidty said:

bought a shroud off of ebay to relocate cluster to the steering stem. it came with 2 pieces of low quality wire 16" long and a couple of solder/shrink connectors (which IMHO are junk btw). Car is getting wrapped, so I don't have it to take pictures. There are 10 wires going there total, so I actually got (2) 5 wire trailer kits, and it actually worked out perfect for length, plus I now have a plug disconnect in the middle if ever needed. just engraved them individually to match them up. 

Great idea. 

• Forum Moderator

I have a question for everyone who has Turbo'd their Talon. My friend Brian bought a 4 seater put the turbo kit on his and WE are planning on doing a run in a few weeks from my House to Slash X and back Off road it should be right at 100 miles Give or take. We all know the talons have the smallest gas tank and we are thinking he wont make it without Getting Fuel. What is your best Guess at the fuel mileage you all have been getting??

19 hours ago, SandTrap said:

I have a question for everyone who has Turbo'd their Talon. My friend Brian bought a 4 seater put the turbo kit on his and WE are planning on doing a run in a few weeks from my House to Slash X and back Off road it should be right at 100 miles Give or take. We all know the talons have the smallest gas tank and we are thinking he wont make it without Getting Fuel. What is your best Guess at the fuel mileage you all have been getting??

I don’t have any real mileage figures that I have measured. But I did a run from Gecko campground down to Duner’s Diner , the Wall, over to the Plank Road display and back. We did a little dunning and some short side trips. 
I would estimate about 60 miles in all and I was almost out when we got back. My fuel gauge started flashing just south of Road Runner. Which means about 1 gallon left in the tank. 
Of course you already know that you’ll go through more gas in the sand versus hard pack, but I would plan on needing more gas. 
Let us know what the results are and have fun. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 11:29 AM, FOG said:

I don’t have any real mileage figures that I have measured. But I did a run from Gecko campground down to Duner’s Diner , the Wall, over to the Plank Road display and back. We did a little dunning and some short side trips. 
I would estimate about 60 miles in all and I was almost out when we got back. My fuel gauge started flashing just south of Road Runner. Which means about 1 gallon left in the tank. 
Of course you already know that you’ll go through more gas in the sand versus hard pack, but I would plan on needing more gas. 
Let us know what the results are and have fun. 

I installed the TrailTech one. Fairly easy install. And increases capacity by  2-3 gallons .. 

On 4/8/2022 at 9:54 AM, FOG said:

Good call. 

Got it back from wrap..Here you go..

EC5B06DC-F944-415E-8447-5BE48BBC00A7.jpeg

A579B04D-5FD8-4F7D-93D0-1CBC31E8C6A3.jpeg

77B07C54-406D-4278-B68B-8D4CEDF5CA0F.jpeg

57D64EC7-F72F-4C6C-B0C6-DC1F9DE9D25B.jpeg

8DCF9B67-3A2A-4332-8444-2F9D7132580B.jpeg

Heading out today on a side-by-side tour with FATCO. AKA family adventure tour company. Going with the Knuckles Up Group, on Frank’s NAU tour.. we’ve done this one before, an if anyone is looking for a straight up legit great time, hit up Frank at FATCO. His SxS tours are top-notch.

11 hours ago, Schmidty said:

I installed the TrailTech one. Fairly easy install. And increases capacity by  2-3 gallons .. 

I keep going back and forth between the Trail Tech at $400   and a Roto Pax 2.3 gal. for around $80. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 6:31 AM, Schmidty said:

Got it back from wrap..Here you go..

EC5B06DC-F944-415E-8447-5BE48BBC00A7.jpeg

A579B04D-5FD8-4F7D-93D0-1CBC31E8C6A3.jpeg

77B07C54-406D-4278-B68B-8D4CEDF5CA0F.jpeg

57D64EC7-F72F-4C6C-B0C6-DC1F9DE9D25B.jpeg

8DCF9B67-3A2A-4332-8444-2F9D7132580B.jpeg

The wrap looks very cool. 
I like the hood/bezel around the instrument cluster. The one I bought doesn’t have that. 
I’d like to know if you get a lot of dust sticking to the instrument cluster. I do. I also got it when it was located in the center console. 

Got back from the tour, and the car worked great. No problem on gas.. Most cars were on the last bar at the end of the day at 110-130 miles. A few of the 4 seat turbo cars needed gas to make it.. I was always at around 1/2 tank left every day using anywhere from 7-7.4 to refill. We did right over 500 miles over 4 days. On the gauge, I don't see it being any more or less dusty than the rest on the dash.. Dust was a factor the last day and a half. I ended up pulling my 1/2 windshield off,  coming back into Mesquite in the afternoon , in the dust, into the sun. . Couldn't see the trail any longer climbing uphill. with the glare. 

• Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 11:27 PM, Schmidty said:

Got back from the tour, and the car worked great. No problem on gas.. Most cars were on the last bar at the end of the day at 110-130 miles. A few of the 4 seat turbo cars needed gas to make it.. I was always at around 1/2 tank left every day using anywhere from 7-7.4 to refill. We did right over 500 miles over 4 days. On the gauge, I don't see it being any more or less dusty than the rest on the dash.. Dust was a factor the last day and a half. I ended up pulling my 1/2 windshield off,  coming back into Mesquite in the afternoon , in the dust, into the sun. . Couldn't see the trail any longer climbing uphill. with the glare. 

Sounds like you had a great time. I’ve got to put a tour on my list, maybe this summer. 
Thanks for the feedback on your gas and dust situation. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Board Moderator
1 hour ago, FOG said:

2022 Talons are out. 
https://powersports.honda.com

Cool, small changes.

Never saw this recall before, engine fuel funnel  screw :dunno:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/American-Honda-Recalls-Recreational-Off-Highway-Vehicles-ROVs-Due-to-Crash-and-Injury-Hazards

Their 2 seater is nice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crusty said:

Cool, small changes.

Never saw this recall before, engine fuel funnel  screw :dunno:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/American-Honda-Recalls-Recreational-Off-Highway-Vehicles-ROVs-Due-to-Crash-and-Injury-Hazards

Their 2 seater is nice.

I got that recall in the mail from Honda. I don’t have that air box because I have the Jackson Racing Turbo. It uses a different air filter system. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 11:19 AM, FOG said:

After putting some tape on my roll cage, see previous post, I started thinking about modifying the stock roll cage. 
So I acquired a couple of cages to experiment with. 
Hoping to get a lower profile in the rear to get rid of that stink bug look and beef it up. 

C2B00821-1C46-4F89-88BF-FFAA8CEEE4DC.jpeg

A follow up on modifying the original roll cage is that I couldn’t make it work. I tried and cut up one of the cages but there were going to be way to many re-welds for my liking. 
Even though one roll cage was destroyed in the process, I still have a spare roll cage just in case. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 9:44 AM, Hondajimz said:

My cage had a radius roof line. I had a few inches between my helmet and roof. Your tape line looks too low to me. 

20200410_144142.jpg

I like your cage very much, I'm thinking of making it like this

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 3:29 PM, ZahraM5 said:

I like your cage very much, I'm thinking of making it like this

If you decide to make the cage, post some pictures here. 
I would be interested.