Honda Talons - Let’s see them

Hit a rock today and bent the passenger side lower A arm a little on the Talon. That wasn’t the rock. lol

Not bad enough to turn around so I kept going.  I went up to Sardine Lookout and then over to Verdi NV. and saw the Sasquatch Tavern. 
A little over 63 miles. The Talon ran great. One of these days I’m going to put some more gas in the tank. 

AA5DBC90-1D10-4314-AE89-7B13AA96D6CD.jpeg

364AFF8F-76DF-466A-A01A-6BC4250CC4FC.jpeg

FF2707E8-C33F-42CA-953A-B3C2C7A4BD4E.jpeg

578CEEA3-55D5-415F-B46F-0907246674EF.jpeg

F161C5C1-BAD8-43F2-AC11-87DAC112591C.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 5:55 PM, FOG said:

I’m at Boyington Mill campground near Boca Reservoir off of Interstate 80 east of Truckee. There is an OHV access road across from the campground. It gets you up to the 72 dirt road. 
I did the southern part yesterday. I’ll give the northern part a try tomorrow.  
Today I went around Lake Tahoe and did some investigation regarding the Rubicon trail. I wanted to give that a try but the Forest Service said that they are going to close it tomorrow or Friday depending upon the fire. 
It may be time to head back south. Thinking I might try Pismo or ??? but that might be questionable due to my lack of planning. 
Hope that helps. 

You might be able to get into Pismo on a day pass but definitely not going to be able to stay overnight. Maybe look into some trail riding out of Shaver Lake in the Sierra's out of Fresno. Join the Knuckles Up facebook page. There is someone riding somewhere every weekend. Easy to meet up and have a good adventure.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hondajimz said:

You might be able to get into Pismo on a day pass but definitely not going to be able to stay overnight. Maybe look into some trail riding out of Shaver Lake in the Sierra's out of Fresno. Join the Knuckles Up facebook page. There is someone riding somewhere every weekend. Easy to meet up and have a good adventure.

Thanks. 
I’m not on FB. Too old I guess. 
But I’ll check out Shaver Lake. 
Too bad about Pismo. I’m an ASA member and have been reading about the issues. It sucks as far as what’s going on but I’ll continue supporting their cause. $$$
Pismo was my first dune experience and have been hooked since. RideRed was still in the womb on that first trip. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my maiden voyage/ trip with the Honda Talon this week and I consider it a huge success.

I took it through sand dunes, the beach, hardpack, river bed and water, over rocks and trees, in the bushes and up challenging mountain trails. 
I put over 470 miles on the Talon and hit a top speed of 75 mph. I know that top speed is limited and I’ll have to see about changing that. 
I got some winch time and experience but didn’t get to do the Rubicon because of the Caldor fire. That’ll go on the bucket list. 
Sea level to over 8,000 feet and the Talon always ran great. No hiccups, no issues, and not one broken belt. lol 😆 Had to get that one in there.  
Very happy with the overall performance and handling.  I really enjoyed being able to paddle shift when I wanted to or just cruise and let the Talon do it’s thing in Sport mode. Launch control is pretty cool and I’ll be playing more with that in the future.

My Talon is officially broke in.  It’s now ready for a turbo and some paddles to start the Glamis season!

PS:  It also needs a bath. 

00BBB85C-3B46-4000-B927-02817EF2C814.jpeg

• Like 2

I have the Jackson turbo. It made a difference but not sure it was worth the 6k. There's a few company's getting close to launching theirs that you might want to hold off with the Jackson kit. 

I run the System III  SS360 sand tires and really like them. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SandTrap said:

Thats Awesome FOG glad you are having fun with it..

Thanks Trap. 
It was a great trip. 

On 9/4/2021 at 9:40 AM, Hondajimz said:

I have the Jackson turbo. It made a difference but not sure it was worth the 6k. There's a few company's getting close to launching theirs that you might want to hold off with the Jackson kit. 

Thanks for the advice Jim. 
I’ll have to check out those tires and turbo. 
Planning to spend some time at the Sand Show before I decide.   Also want to take a look at the Speed UTV. Just wish that thing didn’t have a belt. 

On 9/5/2021 at 10:33 AM, Crusty said:

Still really like the 2 seater...but only a 4 would fit my family.

I remember those days when I needed something bigger for my family. 

CC03F972-51D9-4F75-B00E-048D56D3FE32.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience with the “high clearance “ front lower A arms?

They are on my list for the SSSS tomorrow but I thought I would ask the experts here. 

On 9/4/2021 at 9:40 AM, Hondajimz said:

I know KraftWerks is working on a kit.. who else is? I’ve been so focused on moving the shop over the last year that I haven’t had time to do much research on it. Definitely want to turbo mine at some point. Now that I put larger tires on it it’s lost a little bit of its  oomph!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Schmidty said:

I know KraftWerks is working on a kit.. who else is? I’ve been so focused on moving the shop over the last year that I haven’t had time to do much research on it. Definitely want to turbo mine at some point. Now that I put larger tires on it it’s lost a little bit of its  oomph!

This is the Company I recommend waiting for. The owner (Chad Deutsch)has been racing his Talon and working with PPEI on perfecting the tunes for his turbo kit. 

https://drpowersports.com/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hondajimz said:

This is the Company I recommend waiting for. The owner (Chad Deutsch)has been racing his Talon and working with PPEI on perfecting the tunes for his turbo kit. 

https://drpowersports.com/

I took a look at the link and didn’t see anything regarding a turbo for the Talon. 
Did I miss something?

11 hours ago, FOG said:

I took a look at the link and didn’t see anything regarding a turbo for the Talon. 
Did I miss something?

I indicated it's not ready yet but worth waiting for. I posted the owners name and link to his shop in case you wanted to call and talk with him regarding when it will be ready.

9 hours ago, Hondajimz said:

I indicated it's not ready yet but worth waiting for. I posted the owners name and link to his shop in case you wanted to call and talk with him regarding when it will be ready.

Got it. Thanks. 
I’ll give them a call. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 6:35 PM, SandTrap said:

Have a good friend who just put a deposit on a Talon 4 seat Live valve on Sunday..

That’s cool. Have him post some pictures once he gets it. 

Surprised to see allot of Honda Talon support at the Sand Show. Besides the annual Honda display booth, which I thought was one of the best of all manufactures. Polaris, Can Am & Kawasaki did not seem very interested in being there IMO? I saw many Talons on display around the show. Several were the factory supported race Talons for Baja & King of the Hammers. Jamie Campbell of Raceco had a booth with one of his race Talons on display with all his parts. He makes very nice quality parts for the Talon if your looking.,

It was good to see the support for another brand besides the big two. I will admit I was surprised to not see more aftermarket support for the Kawasaki KRX. 

7 hours ago, NIKAL said:

Surprised to see allot of Honda Talon support at the Sand Show. Besides the annual Honda display booth, which I thought was one of the best of all manufactures. Polaris, Can Am & Kawasaki did not seem very interested in being there IMO? I saw many Talons on display around the show. Several were the factory supported race Talons for Baja & King of the Hammers. Jamie Campbell of Raceco had a booth with one of his race Talons on display with all his parts. He makes very nice quality parts for the Talon if your looking.,

It was good to see the support for another brand besides the big two. I will admit I was surprised to not see more aftermarket support for the Kawasaki KRX. 

The race Talons were super nice as was the Honda race truck.   There was a good amount of Honda stuff sprinkled through out the show.   

I saw some Kawi stuff.  The desert race Kawi was pretty nice.  Actually ended up talking to Jeremey Mcgrath for a few minutes at the Maxxis tire booth.