chEFFs Dream Home Build

ChEFF

• Forum Moderator

Loving the progress. You’re TOPs in my book. 

• Forum Moderator
On 6/2/2021 at 11:42 AM, SYBIZ said:

Just an FYI....Don't wait until you're framed up to order windows and doors. Most manufacturers are 2 months out minimum. 

We went to BMC Design Center in Fort Worth Wednesday. Picked out a couple different types of windows to get quoted. PELLA Windows and Doors just sent their quote over today. Yes, we're staying way ahead of the curve. Plumbing Fixtures have already been chosen. So have all the appliances. Garage Doors have to get ordered today because the Industry is going crazy with  "PRICE INCREASES" 

The plumber brought out his Excavator yesterday to the site. Bringing his pipe today. Supposed to rain this weekend so he'll start trenching and laying the pipe Monday. Pretty Cool how that works. They set all the pipes, fill with water. City comes by for an inspection / pressure test etc..... Builder will leave water in pipes for the entire pour of the foundation and Frame of the house. Definitely want to catch any leaks before the concrete dry's.

The attached photo is our Trash Pump. This dude pumps 330 gals a minute . It ROCKS. The creek rises all the way to our back property line when it Rains like crazy. Lake level rises. Guess how the pond got filled? Peace   

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChEFF said:

We went to BMC Design Center in Fort Worth Wednesday. Picked out a couple different types of windows to get quoted. PELLA Windows and Doors just sent their quote over today. Yes, we're staying way ahead of the curve. Plumbing Fixtures have already been chosen. So have all the appliances. Garage Doors have to get ordered today because the Industry is going crazy with  "PRICE INCREASES" 

The plumber brought out his Excavator yesterday to the site. Bringing his pipe today. Supposed to rain this weekend so he'll start trenching and laying the pipe Monday. Pretty Cool how that works. They set all the pipes, fill with water. City comes by for an inspection / pressure test etc..... Builder will leave water in pipes for the entire pour of the foundation and Frame of the house. Definitely want to catch any leaks before the concrete dry's.

The attached photo is our Trash Pump. This dude pumps 330 gals a minute . It ROCKS. The creek rises all the way to our back property line when it Rains like crazy. Lake level rises. Guess how the pond got filled? Peace   

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

I've been in the window and door business for over 20 years and I have some strong feelings about Pella's aluminum clad/wood windows. Send me a private message if your interested in more information on aluminum clad/wood windows and doors. 

• Forum Moderator

Message Sent. Appreciate the knowledge and guidance. So many options in choosing windows and doors. Peace

• Forum Moderator

More rain this weekend. MUD SUCKS. Doubtful we can get on the dirt monday. Come on out Sunshine. Peace

• Forum Moderator

Got the new Water meter put in yesterday Went from 3/4" line to a 1" line. Why the heck does this thing flip sideways???? Peace

Water Meter 1209.jpg

2 hours ago, ChEFF said:

Got the new Water meter put in yesterday Went from 3/4" line to a 1" line. Why the heck does this thing flip sideways???? Peace

Water Meter 1209.jpg

$15-20,000 for that from the city here... :biggrin:

• Forum Moderator
5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

$15-20,000 for that from the city here... :biggrin:

We had an existing meter so the cost was $475.00 to change it. $5,000 if there wasn't a meter there. Peace

• Like 1

• Forum Moderator

Opinions Matter. And there are a lot of them. Whats your thinking on rising costs of lumber / materials? Build or not to build? So many people have delayed their build based on rising costs of materials. Our lumber package has risen $40k. And our construction loan did not have the extra $40k in it.  And then you have this rising costs in existing homes. Our house will sell right now for a lot more than it would have two years a go. Off Set themselves? Are we looking at permanent cost increase? Or will the 2x4's come back to reality? Whats your thoughts? Peace

10 minutes ago, ChEFF said:

Opinions Matter. And there are a lot of them. Whats your thinking on rising costs of lumber / materials? Build or not to build? So many people have delayed their build based on rising costs of materials. Our lumber package has risen $40k. And our construction loan did not have the extra $40k in it.  And then you have this rising costs in existing homes. Our house will sell right now for a lot more than it would have two years a go. Off Set themselves? Are we looking at permanent cost increase? Or will the 2x4's come back to reality? Whats your thoughts? Peace

Cost's for construction is a lot like the overhead door business

It goes up and down..

It's a coin flip if you ask me, Your builder is lucky I am locked into a project that I can't go back and ask for that $40k in escalation costs. 

I don't think it will alleviate much.  It'll go down once people spin up alternative sources of lumber, but there is a significant portion of our existing tree farms tied up in carbon credits:

image.thumb.png.3edd16ff8be8cbe2b17e33342949ddf8.png

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-carbon-market-pays-southern-pine-growers-not-to-cut-11618911180

• Forum Moderator
17 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I don't think it will alleviate much.  It'll go down once people spin up alternative sources of lumber, but there is a significant portion of our existing tree farms tied up in carbon credits:

image.thumb.png.3edd16ff8be8cbe2b17e33342949ddf8.png

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-carbon-market-pays-southern-pine-growers-not-to-cut-11618911180

Get a check......Keep your timber Standing! WOW.......Sounds like the scenario playing out right now. We'll pay you more money to stay home. Peace

• Like 1

Ten years from now..... Who gives a💩

Build it and they will come..

• Like 1

Lumber futures dropped $500 earlier this week per thousand board feet. There is plenty of lumber so prices will drop significantly once retail catches up to the futures market. 

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, RIDERED said:

Ten years from now..... Who gives a💩

Build it and they will come..

That's what we're afraid of! A 6700 sq ft (ONE BDRM) home. The kids asked, "Where's our room Dad?" Exactly! Peace

• Haha 1

• Forum Moderator
Posted (edited)

Have a friend that just built Kubota Corporate in Grapevine, Texas. He's the President of Kubota. When they excavated the property for this massive structure, they moved the boulders across the street. He knows my Dream Home Build and says take what you can. I called my good buddy DBL J who just happened to be in Grapevine Erecting the Baptist Church. All his equipment was 1 mile from our lot. So, we administered a plan....brought over his Crane....started placing these massive boulders on the edge of my pond. There was 4-5 boulders we couldn't move. TOO BIG!! All this Rock (FREE). And the Crane (FREE). He owns the Crane and was fired up to help! Of Course Da chEFF threw cash everyones way that weekend! How often do you get the chance to Landscape your property with awesome people who know their Chit?! Crane operators are talented people. These Massive Rocks don't just fall into place. They're gently moved very slowly! Billy (Excavator) and Jimmy (Crane) were very impressive. Can't thank these guys enough for the experience. We had a great day! We also brought over a bunch of little rocks for Landscaping around the property. Enjoy the pictures. Can't wait to see the water flowing over these rocks. We'll discuss Water Pumps later! Peace  

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6023.JPG

IMG_6028.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6035.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG

IMG_6010.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

Edited by ChEFF
  • Like 2

• Forum Moderator

If there is any negative to this Dream Home build is that this large OAK TREE has to be cut down. It's exactly where our pool goes. Sucks. Killer tree! Peace

IMG_5466.JPG

1 hour ago, ChEFF said:

If there is any negative to this Dream Home build is that this large OAK TREE has to be cut down. It's exactly where our pool goes. Sucks. Killer tree! Peace

IMG_5466.JPG

Sounds like you need to invite John (Outback)out for a visit. I hear he has experience with this issue. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ChEFF said:

IMG_5466.JPG

There might be some really nice lumber in there. Some quarter sawn oak sure looks good on door frames, stair and chair railings, and fireplace mantels. 

• Like 1

Love this thread. It's VERY apparent you are not in Ca. looking at the crane, rigging, etc...  :thumb:

• Haha 1