Vincent J. Brunasso

Your Call Needed Now!

A bill to reform the Endangered Species Act was passed by the House Resources Committee last week and will be up for a vote by the full House of Representatives this week.

It is extremely important that you call your Congressional Representatives and ask them to endorse Representative Pombo's bill HR 3824 that would bring sanity to the Endangered Species Act.

Please call your Representative early this week. Calls are much more effective than emails at this time.

Your Representative can be found here by typing in your zip code. http://capwiz.com/share/home/

Tell your Representative's office who you are and that you live in their district. Tell them that you oppose the Endangered Species Act as written and want them to as well, and ask them to vote YES on HR 3824.

The bill HR 3824 is the work of Representative Richard Pombo (R-CA), chair of the House Resources Committee and Congress's greatest opponent of endangered species being used as an anti-access tool. Representative Pombo has long represented the interests of developers, off roaders, and the oil and mining industries.

FWIW, the CBD sent out a mass email with my representative's number in it asking for calls to the opposite. I called his office and the person answering the phone said they were getting a lot of calls on HR 3824.

Let's fight fire with fire.

We have the power! Let's use it!

Excellent information, the call has been made. I'll have to better half do so as well. This is far too important not to take action.

bandit.gif

Thanks for that info.........

My district is split between, Elton Gallegly and Henry Waxman.

I e-mailed the both of them as well as called each of their offices.. (local) not Washington.

beer.gif

Keep us posted.

You really need to call Washington DC. I called Gary Miller's office on Thursday rather than the local office. Didn't want to have this sit on some local's call log sheet.

(202) 225-3121, and ask for the office of your represenative.

I posted this in the sandrail section, and will be making the call here in a second. This is a chance to make a difference..lets dial those phones!!

Called up Dunkie...gonna fax him too, I think. Thanks BH for throwing up the General Chat thread to link here... thumb.gif

Just called. Darrell Issa in Vista is the rep. thumb.gif

For the 951 peeps here is a shortcut for ya....

Rep. Ken Calvert ®

www.house.gov/calvert

Washington office (202)225-1986

Local Office (951)784-5255

For the 951 peeps here is a shortcut for ya....

Rep. Ken Calvert ®

www.house.gov/calvert

Washington office (202)225-1986

Local Office (951)784-5255

1182597[/snapback]

Calvert's office was very receptive to us during our Washington DC visit. icon_biggrin.gif

Vicki

Looks like we're not alone in our opinion: this from the OC register

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/opini...icle_687491.php

'No regulation without compensation'

Editorial: There are three or four changes we think are critical to an updated Endangered Species Act, starting with a strengthening of the science behind it.

Set your Hysterical Hyperbole Alarms on snooze: Within the next few weeks, the House Resource Committee is expected to begin work on reforming the 800-pound gorilla of environmental laws, the Endangered Species Act. The law, now 30 years old, is badly in need of updating, though it won't happen without a fight, given the leverage the act gives green extremists bent on trampling private-property rights, dictating land-use policies and obstructing energy development. Even talking about reform can open one to accusations of being indifferent to the wanton slaughter of eagles, whales, bunnies and butterflies. But in spite of such risks, a few intrepid politicians are stepping forward to rein in the rogue law. And they will need all the support they can get.

There are three or four changes we think are critical to an updated Endangered Species Act, starting with a strengthening of the science behind it. As people in Colorado learned the hard way, after the rodent formerly known as the Preble's meadow jumping mouse was exposed as a fraud, federal officials sometimes act to protect a species with only a vague idea about its true identity or status. About a third of the animals removed from the endangered species list over the years were on the list because of flawed science.

Given the law's incredible power to impact property values, dictate development trends, limit access to public lands and hamper the economy, Americans deserve assurances that the law's regulate-first, worry-about-the-science-later approach is reversed.

It's time to start compensating people when Endangered Species Act protections adversely impact their property values. Regulators and environmentalists hate this idea and are reluctant to relinquish their license to regulate at will, with little regard to how their actions are impacting people's lives. Paying compensation would not only be the fair and constitutional thing to do, since the Fifth Amendment requires that citizens be paid when government's actions deprive them of the full use of their property, but it would also underscore the fact that regulations come with a price tag, which someone must pay.

"No regulation without compensation!" must be the battle cry of a second American Revolution, aimed at curbing the power of politicians and government agencies to regulate without regard to the harm they are doing. This change of approach also would lead to better regulations. By making the impacts and costs explicit, Americans will have to put their tax dollars where their environmental values are. And that will make us all more selective about how the government regulates.

The current practice of designating "critical habitat" for every listed species also needs a second look. Even during the green-leaning Clinton administration, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service was saying such designations do too little to help species and too much to create a public backlash against the law. But greens love this part of the law because it hinges nicely with their real agenda - placing vast expanses of public and private lands off-limits to human use.

Changes also are needed to how U.S. Fish and Wildlife measures the economic impacts of species listings and critical habitat designations. Frequently, such economic impact estimates are laughably low and obviously flawed. No one takes them seriously. They've become engraved invitations to lawsuits. Such assessments should be standardized, strengthened and conducted by someone more objective than the agency doing the regulating.

Given that federal resources are limited, the Endangered Species Act must become more discriminating and focused in regard to which plants and animals merit federal protections. There's no practical or affordable way to protect every at-risk plant and animal, so hard choices will have to be made. This involves making trade-offs and value judgements. And that makes some people squirm.

But the alternative is a law that in trying to protect everything, from cave worms to grizzly bears, ends up protecting nothing quite well enough.

Call made to DC direct. Thanks for the heads up.

given the leverage the act gives green extremists bent on trampling private-property rights, dictating land-use policies and obstructing energy development. Even talking about reform can open one to accusations of being indifferent to the wanton slaughter of eagles, whales, bunnies and butterflies. But in spite of such risks, a few intrepid politicians are stepping forward to rein in the rogue law. And they will need all the support they can get.

But greens love this part of the law because it hinges nicely with their real agenda - placing vast expanses of public and private lands off-limits to human use.

But the alternative is a law that in trying to protect everything, from cave worms to grizzly bears, ends up protecting nothing quite well enough.

1182617[/snapback]

bandit.gif

Oh no, I hope the damn "CAVE WORMS" still get protected.......... blink.gif25brdflick.gif

Done !!!.

i email my guy and he knows a guy that knows a guy done

Made my reply yesterday but...

This is IMPORTANT and I'm wondering why it hasn't been made a sticky to make sure people don't miss it yet!

I'll gladly make it a sticky. It's been getting plenty of "play" without it.

If the action stops or slows down, I'll drop it back down.

Vicki

Thanks thumb.gif

We all need to make sure to let our friends and families know about this as well!

And e-mail isn't good enough on this one, pick up the phone and call. It takes less than a minute so it won't cost you much at all in long distance!

This is IMPORTANT and I'm wondering why it hasn't been made a sticky

1182792[/snapback]

bandit.gif

Isn't that a little personal ???????? laugh.gif

Made my reply yesterday but...

This is IMPORTANT and I'm wondering why it hasn't been made a sticky to make sure people don't miss it yet!

1182792[/snapback]

Jason...I didn't make it a "sticky" in the sandrail section because frankly most people ignore the pinned section. I'll keep it on the first page til the end of the week or until I hear the vote's been taken. It IS important, that's for sure..icon_smile.gif

Just made my call.

Just a hint in case some of you forget... if your Congressman is a Republican like mine, and you are a Republican, make sure you mention that in your call. Remember, they act on potential votes, not just random calls. icon_biggrin.gif

Just remember that this is the second step. Once out of the House (finger's crossed), we have a bigger battle in the Senate. This is not the time to get tired and think you've already made the call. We will need help for a few more levels after each step is successful. icon_biggrin.gif

Crunch time baby! burnout.gif

My congressman, Ed Royce ( R ), has an office in Fullerton along with the D.C. office. I called them both!! They want to know your name (asked for correct spelling) and where you live, what bill number you're commenting on. Make sure they know you're one of their constituents!!! The D.C. office seemed really pleased that I was supporting Pombo's bill!!! 1dude.gif

On to the senate; jeez! That's gonna suck 'cause I gotta call Diane and Babs!! 25brdflick.gif25brdflick.gif25brdflick.gif

Edited by Washroad