Missing 5year old in Johnson Valley

SandTrap

12 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

The fact is, the kid wandered off far enough that it took a large number of searchers and a helicopter 13 hrs to find him. You can ignore that fact if you want, but it is a fact and that fact leads me to believe they are not my first choice for Parents of the Year. If the kid had built a fire visible for 20 mi, that reflects on the kid's resourcefulness. But the kid left camp without a full tank of gas, no radio or phone, no water and ran out of gas. He was lucky and didn't get hurt, but that's pure luck, not any amazing parenting skills. If the kid had died, I'm sure public sentiment would be a bit different.

You can disagree all you want, but that's irrelevant. The fact is, he wandered off right under their noses. That's all it takes to fail. They just got lucky he wasn't hurt. If it had been colder, he might have died from exposure. All he had to do was be in the desert overnight, which is what happened.

Maybe we can get your name changed to Karen of the Dunes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, MWB said:

Make all the excuses you want. Lose your kid in the desert = No Parents of the Year Nomination. If you feel differently, that's nice, but nobody cares.

We don't need to change your name. We already know what you are.

• Like 1

At first I had the same feelings as Lord of the dunes. Then I started to reflect on raising my son, nieces, and nephews. There were many times that one of the kids almost got hurt for some stupid reason. It’s what kids do. When they tell you to grow eyes on the back of your head, that’s a true statement. Sometimes, even being the parent of the year, luck is what gets you through. This was a bad scenario but sometimes accidents are truly just that. There can’t be a single parent out there that hasn’t ran into luck saving there ass when it came to the kids. This includes you too LOTD.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big_Daddy_Jp said:

At first I had the same feelings as Lord of the dunes. Then I started to reflect on raising my son, nieces, and nephews. There were many times that one of the kids almost got hurt for some stupid reason. It’s what kids do. When they tell you to grow eyes on the back of your head, that’s a true statement. Sometimes, even being the parent of the year, luck is what gets you through. This was a bad scenario but sometimes accidents are truly just that. There can’t be a single parent out there that hasn’t ran into luck saving there ass when it came to the kids. This includes you too LOTD.

Sorry, but you just don't know me at all. I would have strapped a radio and a portable GPS to my kid's water carrier before I taught him to ride the bike. I also would have made it a rule he doesn't ride the bike out of a 50 yard radius away from me unless we're riding together. The child would also know that defying that rule would result in a very long restriction from riding the bike. I also won't knowingly let someone in camp ride out alone. I'm not being the camp Nazi, I'm saying if someone is starting to ride off somewhere, I'll offer to ride with them or ask them to wait until the group is going for a ride. If they insist, fine I'll let them go because they're adults, but a five-year-old kid is not an adult and that's why they have rules about proper ATV training and every child should be accompanied by an adult.

My concerns about safety even go so far as giving two complete brand new rugged radio helmet kits with 8 watt radios to a friend of mine's family for their quad riders and a complete two seat helmet kit with intercom and radio and antenna for their UTV. That whole setup probably cost about $1,800. Why did I spend that kind of money for someone else's family? Because I think safety is that important.

That's my viewpoint on safety. I'm not telling anyone else to agree with me. I truly believe in the saying "better safe than sorry."

I'm also the one who organized a rescue party for a couple who got left out in a bowl at 8pm with a broken sand rail. The people they were originally riding with came back to camp and left them in the dunes. I heard about it and gathered a different group to go out there and get them. We got back at 11:00 p.m. but at least they weren't out there overnight. Obviously some people don't think there's anything wrong with leaving someone out there in the dunes at night. I won't do that. Other people seem to think that parenting is partially a matter of luck. I guess I'm just a really lucky SOB then, because I raised two step kids and nothing bad ever happened to them. Or maybe it was because I instituted rules that helped keep them safe. Maybe we'll never know.

Anyway, you do you and I'll do me.

3 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Sorry, but you just don't know me at all. I would have strapped a radio and a portable GPS to my kid's water carrier before I taught him to ride the bike. I also would have made it a rule he doesn't ride the bike out of a 50 yard radius away from me unless we're riding together. The child would also know that defying that rule would result in a very long restriction from riding the bike. I also won't knowingly let someone in camp ride out alone. I'm not being the camp Nazi, I'm saying if someone is starting to ride off somewhere, I'll offer to ride with them or ask them to wait until the group is going for a ride. If they insist, fine I'll let them go because they're adults, but a five-year-old kid is not an adult and that's why they have rules about proper ATV training and every child should be accompanied by an adult.

My concerns about safety even go so far as giving two complete brand new rugged radio helmet kits with 8 watt radios to a friend of mine's family for their quad riders and a complete two seat helmet kit with intercom and radio and antenna for their UTV. That whole setup probably cost about $1,800. Why did I spend that kind of money for someone else's family? Because I think safety is that important.

That's my viewpoint on safety. I'm not telling anyone else to agree with me. I truly believe in the saying "better safe than sorry."

I'm also the one who organized a rescue party for a couple who got left out in a bowl at 8pm with a broken sand rail. The people they were originally riding with came back to camp and left them in the dunes. I heard about it and gathered a different group to go out there and get them. We got back at 11:00 p.m. but at least they weren't out there overnight. Obviously some people don't think there's anything wrong with leaving someone out there in the dunes at night. I won't do that. Other people seem to think that parenting is partially a matter of luck. I guess I'm just a really lucky SOB then, because I raised two step kids and nothing bad ever happened to them. Or maybe it was because I instituted rules that helped keep them safe. Maybe we'll never know.

:bugsy:

• Haha 2

I loved the Facebook reply that simply said "here come all the perfect parents, watch out" lmfao reminded me of the PPOG! 😆

• Forum Moderator

Did someone call for a perfect parent? Sorry......I don't of one! Peace

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChEFF said:

Did someone call for a perfect parent? Sorry......I don't of one! Peace

And who are WE to judge. That's someone else job. 

• Board Moderator

Prep them all you can, teach them all you can, watch them all you can....ride right alongside them. At some point you have to let them start going on there own, obviously not in this case....parents failed keeping on eye on that little guy. He got lucky.

You still can't control that idiot in the other OHV. I worry more about this then anything else, because you have no control over it, besides simply not going out to ride.

Allot of good points made in here, regardless of any disagreements. I like the GPS idea, my kids are now young adults, they want to ride out of camp in adjacent areas and it freak me out.

Radios and GPS for teens, I'd like to hear more on that, would make a good thread. :cheers:

• Like 2

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, ChEFF said:

Did someone call for a perfect parent? Sorry......I don't know of one! Peace

15 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

If you read the story, the family was going out together. They got distracted for a moment and the kid took off alone. They didn't knowingly let him go. So not sure you can judge them based on that. 

• Like 2

I was the leader of our rides. I would have to go to each rig to round everyone up. My son would always be the first on his bike with it running while he waited! Always impatient. Yes I taught him to not leave but my eyes weren’t on him while I rounded up the troops. Yes I feel I taught him right but in the end I was LUCKY he didn’t take off. You can teach them and preach to them til your blue in the face, in the end they are a kid and make dumb decisions.

• Thanks 1

I was the leader of our rides. I would have to go to each rig to round everyone up. My son would always be the first on his bike with it running while he waited! Always impatient. Yes I taught him to not leave but my eyes weren’t on him while I rounded up the troops. Yes I feel I taught him right but in the end I was LUCKY he didn’t take off. You can teach them and preach to them til your blue in the face, in the end they are a kid and make dumb decisions.

Yes, they are kids and they make dumb decisions. That's why it's YOUR job to stay 2 steps ahead of them until they start making smart decisions. It's definitely NOT a matter of luck.

I think it's pretty simple.

Keep the bike locked up with the padlock and cable until dad is mounted up and ready to ride, then hand the key to the kid and let him unlock it AFTER the whole camp has been rounded up.

1 hour ago, Snap-On Chris said:

Why is all this still debated? 

There is apparently a large group of people who see nothing wrong with being outsmarted by a 5 yr old kid.

Draw your own conclusions from that.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Yes, they are kids and they make dumb decisions. That's why it's YORE job to stay 2 steps ahead of them until they start making smart decisions. It's definitely NOT a matter of luck.

Keep the bike locked up with the padlock and cable until dad is mounted up and ready to ride, then hand the key to the kid and let him unlock it AFTER the whole camp has been rounded up.

Corrected spelling!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

There is apparently a large group of people who see nothing wrong with being outsmarted by a 5 yr old kid.

Draw your own conclusions from that.

I’m sorry but I find you to be completely full of Crap! You have got to be one naive person to think your kids haven’t done anything when your not looking or not around. There is no way in hell you honestly think that because you told them not to do something, they followed your rules to a “T” when you weren’t looking or not around. You have heard the stories about the Pastors daughters right? 

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2021 at 1:20 PM, MWB said:

HAHA, Prefect. 

5 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Yes, they are kids and they make dumb decisions. That's why it's YOUR job to stay 2 steps ahead of them until they start making smart decisions. It's definitely NOT a matter of luck.

I agree with the watching yore kid and being responsible stuff, but the suggestion I underlined above is ridiculous. Nobody's going to tell their kid that every other person in camp has to be on their bike and ready to go and then I will unlock yours. 

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, AlpineFunco said:

I agree with the watching yore kid and being responsible stuff, but the suggestion I underlined above is ridiculous. Nobody's going to tell their kid that every other person in camp has to be on their bike and ready to go and then I will unlock yours. 

If you can't trust your kid to wait for everyone else, it's sure better than him taking off and getting lost overnight in the desert. I'm not saying everyone should do that.

Just people who are convinced their kid will do something stupid.

I’m sorry but I find you to be completely full of Crap! You have got to be one naive person to think your kids haven’t done anything when your not looking or not around. There is no way in hell you honestly think that because you told them not to do something, they followed your rules to a “T” when you weren’t looking or not around. You have heard the stories about the Pastors daughters right? 

Sounds like someone is a bit touchy about being outsmarted by a 5 yr old kid.

I don't blame ya. It doesn't look good.

8 hours ago, Lord of the Dunes said:

Sounds like someone is a bit touchy about being outsmarted by a 5 yr old kid.

I don't blame ya. It doesn't look good.

Not touchy at all on my side. At no point did I say my son ever took off without me. What I did say was there was plenty of opportunity for him to do so where I wouldn’t have noticed right away. As your kids I can guarantee were the same way. We raise our kids with rules and guidelines putting the fear of God in them so they know if they don’t follow the rules there will be hell to pay. From that point, it is up to them to follow your rules. You cannot argue this point. Everyone has a mind of their own and has to make the right or wrong decision. Our job as parents is to guide them through the muddy waters of life, teach them right from wrong, and pick them up when they fall. They are gonna fall. There is not one perfect child in this world that hasn’t done something they were told not to do. Your basing your logic on the fact that you as a parent were perfect and your children were perfect. Since the rest of us know that isn’t even remotely possible, your making yourself out to look like a douche. The only thing that most of us agree with you on is that the parents could have done a better job of watching that kid.

• Like 1

• Forum Moderator

One thing I did when my kids were Very Young and I would take them riding is I would lead them out on a ride and then we would get to a point to stop and I would telll them You Lead us back to camp. I would say I am right behind you but lead us back to camp.In my opinion it taught them to look around and see other campers and landmarks etc. I always said if something happened on our ride they would know how too get back to camp. Just a few Years back some friends were camping with us and they just let their daughter ride in a circle around camp.I jumped on the moms dirt bike and said lets go for a ride. we were at JV and only rode to the lakebed no big deal but I stopped told her lead us back. she said I can't. I said yes you can I am right here. we got back she was so excited told her parents were she rode too and led back. They came up and questioned me for doing this I said they got to learn.The rest of the weekend she would ask me if we could go on rides and then lead back. No more circles around camp.

Also yes I have done the same thing as LORD and bought race radio's for people and stuff to get people set up and sometimes Crap still happens that we don't Plan for.I am NOT gonna Judge the parents here as its not my job to do so and Hopefully they learned a lesson. I think emotions are High in this case because all of us know this could easily of gone very Bad and that would Hurt us all.Thank God the Boy was found and returned to His parents. Thank God a GOOD man is who found him. Thank God that all of US as an Off road community came together for even a short time to try to find this little boy.

• Like 5