Front Turning brakes

John@Outfront

• Site Sponsor

I am not sure if the car would turn,   

there is so much positive traction in the rear, I think it would just push,  just like a tractor, 

or if you where on the gas, the front would be so light, i just dont think it would work, 

I really only use the TB if i am in a wheelie,  or side hilling, then i lock up one back and the front just magically goes uphill, 

I dont really use the turning brake to much,  I mostly chop on the throttle to get the rear sliding around,     

Mine being mid engine I found TB never got used. I removed it and never feel I've missed it.

I’ve seen some of the SXS guys in my group run these front tires that are 1/2 razor and 1/2 paddle in the front…. I think that would probably help with the turning break idea.  But as Alper said, there is so little force on the fronts I don’t think it’s going to be tremendous but it could be just enough to get the car turning harder.   

On 6/11/2021 at 1:42 PM, John@Outfront said:

some of you should do stand up comedy, (i would go)

my wifes car has lane assist that applies both brakes on one side to "pull" you back in the lane.  it works pretty nice and yes that is applying the brakes on the turning wheel.

i dont think locking up a single turning wheel on the inside would be a big deal.

so none of you think it could would to any advantage (in the sand)  i may have to just try it.  my first idea would be to have a second turning brake right along side my normal brake, just with a shorter handle.  if i want both wheels on one side to brake i would effectively grab both handles , if not then just grab the regular rear only

If you're trying to drift, engaging both brakes on one side would do the opposite, and the lane assist is the perfect example of it: safety systems would never engage to "spin" a car (what a drift feels like to Joe Schmoe).  It would just jink the car over, but most likely do it perfectly straight.

Just one front brake plus throttle might accomplish what you're looking for since you're providing a resistance point for pivoting, but there's not much load on the inside front even on your car under throttle while turning, so it might just skip.

But, hey, don't knock it til you try it.  Let us all know how it works and we'll copy you or laugh, depending on the result :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Update:

Talked to RJ momentarily about his dual brake pedal in the Pro2 truck which is not how I assumed it worked. Only runs rear brake or all 4 depending on what pedal is pushed. 

Turns out, all you need is a 410 spec motor and a light rear end to get the thing to turn. Whood a thunk it?

He wouldn't let me drive it though. Even with the promise of a few beers on me after we got off the beach.

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sean@Weddle said:

Update:

Talked to RJ momentarily about his dual brake pedal in the Pro2 truck which is not how I assumed it worked. Only runs rear brake or all 4 depending on what pedal is pushed. 

Turns out, all you need is a 410 spec motor and a light rear end to get the thing to turn. Whood a thunk it?

He wouldn't let me drive it though. Even with the promise of a few beers on me after we got off the beach.

IMG_4727.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

That last pic needs to go in the roost thread

• Like 2

I have driven a car at Glamis, with too much brake bias to the front brakes.  The car had triple razors on the front, and when the brakes were hit hard, and the tires locked up it threw sand in the air.  It was pretty annoying.  I would think the ease of locking up the front tire, would make it a regular thing, and I assume it would just throw that sand up in the air and your face.

I'm intrigued, but I don't see it working.  My $.02.  Let us know John!!

2 hours ago, 2dasand said:

I have driven a car at Glamis, with too much brake bias to the front brakes.  The car had triple razors on the front, and when the brakes were hit hard, and the tires locked up it threw sand in the air.  It was pretty annoying.  I would think the ease of locking up the front tire, would make it a regular thing, and I assume it would just throw that sand up in the air and your face.

I'm intrigued, but I don't see it working.  My $.02.  Let us know John!!

I can say with pretty good certainty that Outfront hasn't had sand thrown up in his face before.  He might end up liking it you never know.

Edited by MWB
  • Like 1

• Forum Moderator

this system would not be used in an all open drift, big dunes it would be when dicing through some tight stuff, i dont think most of you could even relate  i mean really tight stuff    i think it would be limited use but just another trick in the machine.  i will be trying it..........catch me if you can  to be continued. 

2 hours ago, John@Outfront said:

this system would not be used in an all open drift, big dunes it would be when dicing through some tight stuff, i dont think most of you could even relate  i mean really tight stuff    i think it would be limited use but just another trick in the machine.  i will be trying it..........catch me if you can  to be continued. 

Best Ken Block Wrc Rally GIFs | Gfycat

I like it when people think outside of the box. It’s even better when the buggy guys use SXS technology to better their rides! https://utvactionmag.com/rj-andersons-holz-xp1k-2/