Tire Sealant, What’s the Latest?

Dave04

I remember there used to be a couple good threads on here about bead sealers…. I used the alumaseal/antifreeze on my last set with some success, but not perfect. 

Just getting ready to mount new 35.5s and 12.50s and wondering what everyone is using to seal them up? And what mix of antifreeze/alumaseal if using that method. Thanks!

-Dave

Staflo starch.

Cheap, easy, effective and washes out with water.  Causes no issues with corrosion or whatever.

• Like 1

• Board Moderator

I used the alumaseal/antifreeze for a few years. It would leak out at the beads when the tires were removed and stored under my car in my 5th wheel. When I swapped tires I went with Stay-Flo starch and never had a leak or problem again.  I used half a bottle of Stay-Flo per tire.

• Like 1

I'm still using the 50/50 mix of alumaseal and straight antifreeze. I tried sta-flo and had Crap results. Switch back to alumaseal and have no problems. The starch is all over my trailer floor, and it nasty. 

Sta-Flo here.  order online from Walmart or Amazon.  I just sealed up my paddles. 

I used berrymans and had pretty good results. Biggest issue I had was that it still leaks a bit and will leave residue on the garage floor.

I did the  alumaseal/antifreeze for years and it would leak a little. Switched to starch with no leaks and it works great. 

Edited by RIDERED

Either solution will leak out slowly over time.    You should plan on this when storing your tires.

I used the alumaseal combo last year and would still have leaks. I put a 1/2 quart of starch in each tire a month ago and haven't aired up since.

4 minutes ago, rampster said:

Either solution will leak out slowly over time.    You should plan on this when storing your tires.

I put Staflo in my paddles over 3 seasons ago, haven't put air in them since.

I’m a starch fan. I have seen the aluminum seal pit wheels but I am a fan of cleaning the wheels at the end of season 

Berrymans is great until it stains your garage floor when it leaks out.  Mine leaked a bit for three years on my garage floor until I took it apart and clean it all out, and that sucked as well.

Berrymans is great and @Grant@Funcoputs it in all their tires. If you use it and it leaks onto your floor it's time for new paddles because the tire sealant isn't working. I put 2 quarts per paddle and 1 quart per front tire. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cookie said:

Berrymans is great until it stains your garage floor when it leaks out.  Mine leaked a bit for three years on my garage floor until I took it apart and clean it all out, and that sucked as well.

I had same issue. The Berrymans not only leaked but makes a god awful mess and stains everything. I switched to stayflo starch and no more leaks or mess. 

• Like 1

• Site Sponsor
20 hours ago, Dockmaster said:

I had same issue. The Berrymans not only leaked but makes a god awful mess and stains everything. I switched to stayflo starch and no more leaks or mess. 

For Me the Berrymans made a mess of everthing and was just nasty to clean up, 

I switched to the stay-flow, it does not eat the rim, and if you have to clean it out of the tire, it looks like water, and washes away easy,  super cheap, about $4 per tire, and mine work with a nail in the trailer tire like fix a flat,  

So there are two Tire sealant threads at the same time?  Feels like summer  ...

Asking honestly  - I would like to know how big the leak has to be to let tire sealant pour out on the floor? Is that with a bent rim or packed sand between the rim and tire?   

And if Berrymans which is really thick is leaking out making little puddles on the floor, then starch which is basically "water" until it dries out must leave big puddles?

I have used starch before and agree it seals sidewall leaks and small rim leaks and I like it, but Berrymans works really well for my what guess are tiny leaks - 

see the other thread I wrote up my experience there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullthrottleguy said:

So there are two Tire sealant threads at the same time?  Feels like summer  ...

Asking honestly  - I would like to know how big the leak has to be to let tire sealant pour out on the floor? Is that with a bent rim or packed sand between the rim and tire?   

And if Berrymans which is really thick is leaking out making little puddles on the floor, then starch which is basically "water" until it dries out must leave big puddles?

I have used starch before and agree it seals sidewall leaks and small rim leaks and I like it, but Berrymans works really well for my what guess are tiny leaks - 

see the other thread I wrote up my experience there

I said basically the same thing- if the tire sealant is leaking out if the tire, the tire is not sealed. Get new tires. Just to be clear I've never used starch, alumiseal, clubbed baby seals blood, tears of a homeless man, or any other concoction. I started using Berrymans in numerous clients tires after talking with @Grant@Funco and getting his recommendation.

When I was racing Class 1 we used Slime, which I know is corrosive to aluninum, but we went through a lot of tires racing open desert and the wheels were thoroughly cleaned before new tires were mounted. I have pics on my laptop of what Slime does to aluminum wheels I'll post up when I find them.

• Like 1

I was alumaseal and antifreeze for many years and then switched to Staflo liquid start a couple of seasons ago. The starch works!  
I picked up a nail in an STU 35.5 x17 paddle, pulled out the nail and the starch sealed it. No plug. 
Just starch, done deal. 
Plus if you have any starch left over, the ladies love a “sharp dressed man. “

• Haha 1