Super C Vs Class A DP Drivability

36 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

Yup, great guy and easy to do business with.  That new 7.3 gas motor and the 10-speed auto will be a game changer for gas Class As... but I sure hope they've found a way to make 'em drive better. 

-TJ

I talked to a few owners with the new V8 and the seem to really like.  I have never had an issue with the way my A class drives.  Jayco has their J-ride set up that works well.  I remember driving my brother in laws old Fleetwood and it was a white knuckle experience until he did something to the rear suspension.

Driving a diesel A class is a piece of cake.  Drove my friend's and it was a nice ride.

19 hours ago, Sand Shark said:

I talked to a few owners with the new V8 and the seem to really like.  I have never had an issue with the way my A class drives.  Jayco has their J-ride set up that works well.  I remember driving my brother in laws old Fleetwood and it was a white knuckle experience until he did something to the rear suspension.

Driving a diesel A class is a piece of cake.  Drove my friend's and it was a nice ride.

Yeah, I might or might not have been pulled over for being on my phone when driving my Dutch Star with the Stacker because it was so easy/comfortable.  

-TJ

• Haha 1

I love my 2020 Super C Entegra Accolade. Easy to drive with 26ft trailer, I dont feel drained after driving it. Really a good experience.

Blackout entegra.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 2:14 PM, bringenkaos said:

So my wife and kids will not allow me to go back to a 5er. Currently own a DP but on long drives i feel fatigued but not as bad driving my dually - 5er combo. i figure a Super C will be similar to a dually? im looking at a newer Seneca with the freightliner chassis. 

What say you?

I thought you were trying to downsize 😉 , not sure bout you but anything I drive for long periods of time drains me... 

Edited by Orange_R
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

well just got from Idaho and that was an experience. I learned a lot from this trip. 

1. Driving in the desert in the summer sucks ass

2. I was either tired because i was too comfortable or white knuckling it due to winds. 

3. never again will I drive 13 hours in 1 day. Idaho to Vegas. (my daughter wanted to spend her bday there)

4. Provo is a great midway point to stop an spend the day

5. we are doing Glacier next year and im flying and renting a cabin. no way am i driving that far in the short time we have for a vacation. 

We have decided since we do alot of campground camping we need something a few feet smaller. i dont know if a 37' Class A will have the power we need but the newer Seneca's should be fine. if i were to stay Class A and campgrounds were not an issue, tag axle would be the only way. 

20210630_210028.jpg

IMG_20210630_141825_917.jpg

20210627_153316.jpg

20210626_211337.jpg

Edited by bringenkaos
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, bringenkaos said:

well just got from Idaho and that was an experience. I learned a lot from this trip. 

2. I was either tired because i was too comfortable or white knuckling it due to winds. 

3. never again will I drive 13 hours in 1 day. Idaho to Vegas. (my daughter wanted to spend her bday there)

5. we are doing Glacier next year and im flying and renting a cabin. no way am i driving that far in the short time we have for a vacation. 

We have decided since we do alot of campground camping we need something a few feet smaller. i dont know if a 37' Class A will have the power we need but the newer Seneca's should be fine. if i were to stay Class A and campgrounds were not an issue, tag axle would be the only way. 

It's pretty hard to find "smaller" DPs with the bigger motor, trans and chassis to allow towing a heavy stacker.  Justin who was on the site before the crash (something like blacktopseal IIRC) specializes in finding the shorter high-end older rigs, remodeling/detailing them up and selling them.  I have his direct contact info (I bought a stacker from him previously, great guy to do business with) if you want it.  Otherwise, you're hard pressed to even find an ISL in anything under 40'.  

That Accolade like @URCLEVER has might be perfect for you.  I've been in it, and it's a really really nice rig.  The interior feels very spacious with his floorplan (I might actually remove the couch on one side of my Mountain Aire just to create the same big, open feeling) and it's a great powertrain/chassis combo with a reasonable trailer.  IIRC it has the 360/800 HP/TQ 6.7L ISB but it has the big Allison MH3000 (which you'll find in 450/1250 HP/TQ 8.9L ISL pushers that weigh a lot more) and full air brakes and rear air suspension.  I wouldn't put a 15k lbs stacker behind it, but I'd feel fine with a 12k lbs enclosed personally.  That said, the actual length is over 39' so it's right there with "40 foot" diesel pushers. 

What might actually be perfect for you is something like the Thor Magnitude/Omni I mentioned above.  Mine was 35' 5" real length and I wouldn't hesitate to put a loaded 28' box trailer behind it.  Thor quality is a little lacking, but Renegade makes a very similar unit in the "VeraCruz" line.  The 35FWS is almost the exact same floorplan I had in my Magnitude, but has Renegade quality in the build.  The big reason we didn't go with them when we got the Magnitude was a) availability b) I really liked/wanted the outdoor kitchen which Renegade doesn't do for some reason.  Hindsight 20/20 I'd prob do the Renegade this time, though I haven't owned one myself and the "grass is always greener" so I can't 100% verify the build quality is better...

-TJ

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 4:00 PM, bringenkaos said:

20210630_210028.jpg

IMG_20210630_141825_917.jpg

20210627_153316.jpg

20210626_211337.jpg

Glacier was on my next years summer vacation list too. I drove my class a gas back to corona from Moab in one shot. I didn’t think it was too bad and that thing drove like Crap. I’m hoping the 40k pound pusher this go around will be even easier. 

15 minutes ago, matt86m said:

Want squirly? Come drive my 32’ dp with a 17’ wb! 

Dafuuuuuq.....?  Dayum, does it wheelie if you hit a decent roller?

42 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Dafuuuuuq.....?  Dayum, does it wheelie if you hit a decent roller?

No but if I lift too quick the ass end wants to come around on me! :lol:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, matt86m said:

Want squirly? Come drive my 32’ dp with a 17’ wb! 

I warned you, didn't I? 

-TJ

Edited by tjZ06

Posted (edited)

Want a little entertainment, try driving this during "high winds".  My drive is only 150 Miles & it takes me 30 minutes to pull the seat cushion out of my ass so I can get out of the truck.  5000 Lb truck, 12000 Lb trailer. LOL

"I think Im gonna need a bigger truck".

image.jpeg.669d36d1783bc47d7ddd3f911080289d.jpeg

Edited by Bobalos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

Want a little entertainment, try driving this during "high winds".  My drive is only 150 Miles & it takes me 30 minutes to pull the seat cushion out of my ass so I can get out of the truck.  5000 Lb truck, 12000 Lb trailer. LOL

"I think Im gonna need a bigger truck".

image.jpeg.669d36d1783bc47d7ddd3f911080289d.jpeg

If setup right, that shouldn't be *that* bad.  I know 5'ers are a totally different world, but I towed ~17k lbs super comfortably with a ~8k lbs truck.  I used my wife's 1500 to tow ~8k lbs and it was ~5k.  I did use this setup: https://andersenhitches.com/pages/weight-distribution-hitch and it makes a BIG difference (the anti-sway aspect works VERY well). 

-TJ

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, tjZ06 said:

If setup right, that shouldn't be *that* bad.  I know 5'ers are a totally different world, but I towed ~17k lbs super comfortably with a ~8k lbs truck.  I used my wife's 1500 to tow ~8k lbs and it was ~5k.  I did use this setup: https://andersenhitches.com/pages/weight-distribution-hitch and it makes a BIG difference (the anti-sway aspect works VERY well).

Normally its not bad @ all.  there are brakes on both axles (although they need a little love), so it stops OK.  when the winds are hitting me from the bow or the stern, it drives good, but I can REALLY feel the drag (or lack of it).  When its coming port to starboard.................... it SUCKS ASS.  Its almost 300 square feet of sail & boy does it push the truck around.  I use the weight distribution all of the time & I put the anti-sway on it every time, but only snug it down when I know there are winds.  it makes very big difference when I have it snugged up.  It takes it from pushing the back end over, to the whole rig trying to move side ways & that is much more predictable & easier to control. 

This is the guy I have. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f3ad21922bf61cec1abe146b0db8b293.jpeg

Edited by Bobalos

9 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

Normally its not bad @ all.  there are brakes on both axles (although they need a little love), so it stops OK.  when the winds are hitting me from the bow or the stern, it drives good, but I can REALLY feel the drag (or lack of it).  When its coming port to starboard.................... it SUCKS ASS.  Its almost 300 square feet of sail & boy does it push the truck around.  I use the weight distribution all of the time & I put the anti-sway on it every time, but only snug it down when I know there are winds.  it makes very big difference when I have it snugged up.  It takes it from pushing the back end over, to the whole rig trying to move side ways & that is much more predictable & easier to control. 

This is the guy I have. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f3ad21922bf61cec1abe146b0db8b293.jpeg

Gotcha... I guess that just means you get to buy a new (heavier) truck!  🙂

-TJ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt86m said:

No but if I lift too quick the ass end wants to come around on me! :lol:

Just like a buggy.  Consider it recalibration practice on the way to the dunes. :biggrin:

On 6/25/2021 at 9:05 AM, Turn and Burn said:

The freight liner M2 is a bulletproof chassis for several different super C’s, but still kind of a rough ride. Nice to have a crumple zone in front of you, instead of a giant piece of glass. I had a DX3 super C with the M2 which was great at pulling big loads without having to manage the RPMs as much as I did with my DP.  We recently traded the DX3 in for a Renegade Classic on a freight liner cascadia chassis. Oh my god what a night and day difference! Expensive but wow, what a dreamy ride. Every time I drive it, I love it more. I actually look forward to driving home from Glamis (use to hate it). Best rig I have ever owned, not even close to second.  I honestly ask my wife to go for a drive just because I love driving it. I almost hate getting to my destination.  13 liter Detroit diesel, no problem pulling 75 up whitewater with my fully loaded 24’ stacker.  Wife is in heaven! She said finally you have a rig that is big enough to pull the loads you are trying to move. She hated the big sheet of glass and never felt safe. She is right, front collision would be a bad day in a class A. 

image.jpeg

If I had unlimited funds....or just more funds than I currently have and could afford a set up, this would be it.

Short enough to get in most campgrounds, but able to pull anything and I love the aspect of having the motor in front.