N2SAND

Not Good

Alright, I am sure all you Funco freaks will have a hissy fit over this one but, in my opinion, all I got to say is nothing wads up like a Funco. This is the second or third Funco that I have seen like this. I dont think I want my family in one.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by ENDANGERED DUNER

That Funco probably saved someones life

In all fairness, tubes were cut in order to remove the passengers, so we don't know how fast it was going or how much of the damage was strictly from the impact.

I hope to never wad it up that badly, which is why I drive as cautiously as I do, and I keep discussing construction techniques in sandrail tech in an effort to get people to insist on the best for their families.

Thanks Steve

Alright, I am sure all you Funco freaks will have a hissy fit over this one but all I got to say is nothing wads up like a Funco. This is the second or third Funco that I have seen like this. I dont think I want my family in one.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

1671264[/snapback]

Seen like what?? Take 2000 lbs at high speed and nose into the sand. Some stuff is going to bend and give. Gimme a break.

plthumbsdown.gif

With all due respect to Grant, Im not sure I would say a "funco" saved anyones life. I would rather say a well built sand rail saved someones life.

I know Grant builds a great car, as do many builders. To say a "funco" saved someones life, to me, is a dis-service to the other builders who build a quality car.

I think to say a "funco" saved a life is as wrong as saying the deaths in funcos were as a result of being in a "funco." Or in this case, the injuries were because it was a "funco." It's not right and none of us are qualified to make those statments.

My point is, yes the car appears to have held up well. But many cars may have held up just as well and perhaps some even better...we just dont know.

Of course this is just my opinion and it is worth exactly what you paid for it...but we have seen other cars envolved in terrible crashes. In many cases, the lives of the drivers were probably saved because the owners chose a well built, safe car.

We have also seen cars that have crumbled beyond recognition in a simple rollover, sand car of hope comes to mind. (still no pictures of that pile of garbage)

I think at best, this reconfirms the need to do your homework and buy a car that has a long record of safety. Unfortunatly(or fortunatly) many builders just dont have the number of cars in the dunes as others therefore we have no idea how they will handle a crash. With the larger more experienced builders, we know what they will do and have an idea of how the passangers will do in a crash.

I hope everyone envolved recovers well from their injuries.

Youve got to draw a line somewhere where an "accident about to happen", becomes "an accident that people survived". How would other cars fair on a 4th gear lawn dart? There is some CRAP that is being built these days that be a coffin on wheels on an accident like this one. Also, do the numbers count. There is more Funcos out in the dunes now days than probably any other builder ever.

With all due respect to Grant, Im not sure I would say a "funco" saved anyones life. I would rather say a well built sand rail saved someones life.

I know Grant builds a great car, as do many builders. To say a "funco" saved someones life, to me, is a dis-service to the other builders who build a quality car.

I think to say a "funco" saved a life is as wrong as saying the deaths in funcos were as a result of being in a "funco." Or in this case, the injuries were because it was a "funco." It's not right and none of us are qualified to make those statments.

My point is, yes the car appears to have held up well. But many cars may have held up just as well and perhaps some even better...we just dont know.

Of course this is just my opinion and it is worth exactly what you paid for it...but we have seen other cars envolved in terrible crashes. In many cases, the lives of the drivers were probably saved because the owners chose a well built, safe car.

We have also seen cars that have crumbled beyond recognition in a simple rollover, sand car of hope comes to mind. (still no pictures of that pile of garbage)

I think at best, this reconfirms the need to do your homework and buy a car that has a long record of safety. Unfortunatly(or fortunatly) many builders just dont have the number of cars in the dunes as others therefore we have no idea how they will handle a crash.  With the larger more experienced builders, we know what they will do and have an idea of how the passangers will do in a crash.

I hope everyone envolved recovers well from their injuries.

1671292[/snapback]

Wow, talk about reading way too much into a post.

I said "that Funco probably saved someones life."

If it was a Sandcars, SU, Desert Dienamics, or anything else, I would have said

"that XYZ probably saved someones life"

As with any vehicle, you want the frame to "wad" up to absorb the shock. Same holds true with Indy cars; can hit the wall at high speeds, shatter , and the driver walks away.

Better the frame wad up than your body.

As as far as seeing "another Funco" in this shape, I'll bet there are more Funcos in the dunes than just about any other mfg.

My .02 cents

Edited by Rick Bowen

Alright, I am sure all you Funco freaks will have a hissy fit over this one but all I got to say is nothing wads up like a Funco. This is the second or third Funco that I have seen like this. I dont think I want my family in one.

Seen like what?? Take 2000 lbs at high speed and nose into the sand. Some stuff is going to bend and give. Gimme a break.

plthumbsdown.gif

1671289[/snapback]

Exactly the response I expected from a Funco owner, biased! You guys can never take anything negative about Funco. Why is it plthumbsdown.gif for me to say this is the second or third Funco that I have seen like this. Sorry but its true that this is what I have seen, its not an opinion. In my experience, Funcos have suffered some of the worst damages. Personaly I do not think the chasis held up that well, we are lucky the injuries were not worse.

In many cases, the lives of the drivers were probably saved because the owners chose a well built, safe car.

Tom....If you accept the fact that a "well built, safe car" contributed to the survival of the occupants of this incident, then a funco is a "well built, safe car". So, if funco="well built, safe car", then by definition, your statement worded as such would also be true:

"In many cases, the lives of the drivers were probably saved because the owners chose a funco"

Wording aside, I'd much rather be in a car that has some "give" to it when involved in an impact like that. Can you imagine the force necessary to bend a rotor 90 degrees like it appears in that picture? With that hard of a hit, the energy that goes into bending some tubes is energy that's not being applied to the passengers. Even the street car manufacturers recognize that. I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of street cars would be much more unrecognizeable than that funco were they involved in a crash of the same magnitude and direction of force. You can always replace a frame...but it's impossible to replace your family and friends.

And remember this..the "funco" didn't press it's own gas pedal. It didn't make whatever decision was made to put itself in such a situation. There are many well built, safe cars out there, but you just can't design for all cases of human error.

I'm just glad there were no fatalities, and I hope that the duners injured make a speedy and full recovery.

Youve got to draw a line somewhere where an "accident about to happen", becomes "an accident that people survived". How would other cars fair on a 4th gear lawn dart? There is some CRAP that is being built these days that be a coffin on wheels on an accident like this one. Also, do the numbers count. There is more Funcos out in the dunes now days than probably any other builder ever.

1671322[/snapback]

Not quite!

That Funco probably saved someones life

1671269[/snapback]

Way to sound just as ignorant as the guy who made the trolling post.......

what makes a funco so damn safe that you can say that these people would have died if they were in some other brand of car...??? aside from you not personaly witnessing the crash, there are way too many variables that could have happened during the crash for you to have a valid reason make a statment like that, unless you have come across some kind crash test comparison for sand rails.......

Edited by Saint

How do you think this car would fair in a 60+ mph lawn dart?

post-2711-1149821906.jpg

Beachhead, I basically agree with you about the chassis deformation absorbing a lot of the force. I deally, I'd like to see the suspension and outer extremities collapse and the main cage area retain it's shape - like a lot of race cars do. Unfortunately, the kind of money/experience it takes to design that in is not in this sport- yet. Maybe never.

Endangered duner - do you think that there is a different brand that outnumbers Funco in the dunes? I don't own one, but it seems to me there sure are a lot of them out there.

1671322[/snapback]

Not quite!

1671355[/snapback]

KEY WORD, PROBABLY. You probably didnt read that.

YES, I know there is alot of other builders that are out there that mass produce cars, Im just sayin that Funco is one of the most prevailant cars out there.

Who knows but I sure dislike the bent B=pillers. Whats the point?

This is in response to the Nicolas car above.

Edited by ENDANGERED DUNER

In the other thread it was mentioned that one of the passengers received seatbelt injuries. It takes a severe impact to be injured by your seatbelt. The car hit so hard it snapped one or both of the front wheels off, that's pretty hard. I'll get in a Funco any day, picking the driver is more important when it comes to safety.

I dont think you can read anything into those pics. The FD cut that car up big time to get somebody out. Unless somebody had video of the crash or pics before the FD got there, we'll never know.

Im just glad they all lived and didnt take some one else out. Then we all get bad press for the dunes.

My .02

plthumbsdown.gif

1671289[/snapback]

Exactly the response I expected from a Funco owner, biased! You guys can never take anything negative about Funco. Why is it plthumbsdown.gif for me to say this is the second or third Funco that I have seen like this. Sorry but its true that this is what I have seen, its not an opinion. In my experience, Funcos have suffered some of the worst damages. Personaly I do not think the chasis held up that well, we are lucky the injuries were not worse.

1671342[/snapback]

Look at the force to rip the wheel from a billet hub. What do you expect the chassis to do? If there wasn't some give the impact would not be absorbed.

Look at old cars from the 60s and 70s. They were tanks and people died on the roads. New cars are made to give. I am not saying that buggy chassis designers put crumple zones in these cars but with probably 2600-2700 lbs coming to a abrupt stop the energy has to go somewhere. As far as other wrecks I think there have been more high speed crashes in Funcos due to the fact of the sheer number of cars out there. The only wreck that I know of where the chassis came apart (and was not cut up by emergency crews) was the one where the front end was torn off. If I remember right that car crashed at 70 mph and everyone survived.

Also I am not saying that Funcos are the only car that would hold up in a wreck like this. Im sure many of the more popular "sand cars" out there would do well. I would also bet there are a few that would have serious problems. But to come on here and say nothing wads up like a Funco is ridiculous whether I am an owner or not.

Endangered duner - do you think that there is a different brand that outnumbers Funco in the dunes? I don't own one, but it seems to me there sure are a lot of them out there.

1671372[/snapback]

No doubt there are a ton of Funcos out there but yes, there is a different brand that outnumbers Funco.

A message from a non Funco owner...Looks like the car did its job. Absorbed the impact and everyone lived. I'm glad to hear that everyone survived.

My best wishes go out to all who were involved. I'm sure I speak for all of us who are a part of GD.COM and wish you a full and speady recovery. zippy.gif

1671372[/snapback]

No doubt there are a ton of Funcos out there but yes, there is a different brand that outnumbers Funco.

1671442[/snapback]

What brand?