N2SAND

Not Good

In many cases, the lives of the drivers were probably saved because the owners chose a well built, safe car.

Tom....If you accept the fact that a "well built, safe car" contributed to the survival of the occupants of this incident, then a funco is a "well built, safe car". So, if funco="well built, safe car", then by definition, your statement worded as such would also be true:

1671347[/snapback]

Agreed. I guess my point was, the life or lives were not saved because it was a "funco." They were saved because they were in a well built and well designed car, if the car deserves credit.

Unfortunatly, lives can be saved and lives can be lost in any brand of car. A well designed and well built car does not insure you against death or injury. It MAY increase your odds, but even that copuld be argued.

The fact is, we just dont know...either way. Not one builder that I know of (well alan at xtreme probably has, heck, he's done everything else) has done any safety testing or done crash testing...

Do I think a "funco" contributed to the safety of the drivers in this crash(not accident)...it certainly didn't hurt their odds of survival...

On any given day I see more Funcos in the dunes than any other manufacturer. Actually, I see more Funcos than any 2 other brands in the dunes. I dont have any facts to back this up but these are my observations.

Just glad everyone walked away.

In a bad wreck, the car HAS to bend. that takes the force off the occupents.Look at street cars, they all have crush zones.I am not an expert or saying a lightly built car is better, but I have been in some pretty hard hits in stock cars.If the chassis doesn't bend and absorb energy, there is more energy for your body to absord= more injuries.

lets just say thank God they all excaped with minor injuries, learn from the DRIVER ERROR and try to drive in a manner to not let this happen to you,,,

more Tatums than Funco's..........................I highly doubt that.

I bet the chassis would fair pretty well. What do you guys think?

[attachmentid=84808]

1671602[/snapback]

Doubt it all you want, its true.

Also, the Funco frame in your picture is completely different than the Big5 and a much better design. I would bet your frame would fair much better in the same situation.

1671627[/snapback]

Id like to see your #'s ...........btw: let me guess,you own a Tatum!

1671634[/snapback]

I dont care if you dont believe me, call Tatum and Funco yourself, bet you will be surprised!

Oh and yes, I do own a Tatum.

1671667[/snapback]

Typical response from a Tatum owner! pineapple.gif1cheff.gif

So basically you are guessing too. Im just going off the hundreds of Funco's I see in Glamis over a weekend vs. the dozen or so Tatums , but the Tatums are most likely sitting in camp being polished,so I could be wrong pwrmad.gif . Id still like to see some #'s to back up your claim.

and I dont care if you dont care if I believe you! peace.gif

Edited by flashpoint

On any given day I see more Funcos in the dunes than any other manufacturer.  Actually, I see more Funcos than any 2 other brands in the dunes.  I dont have any facts to back this up but  these are my observations. 

1671777[/snapback]

Not that I give a s*** or own either brand, but Funcos are more noticeable and are not like any other frame. I will say that I see more Tatums but they blend in with a lot of other brands so people do not notice as much (unless we are talking about the Black Widow).. IMHO

By the way....what does the number of vehicles sold have to do with anything? There are a ton of H2's out there, does that make them better or safer than the H1?? I think not pwrmad.gif

Alright, I am sure all you Funco freaks will have a hissy fit over this one but all I got to say is nothing wads up like a Funco. This is the second or third Funco that I have seen like this. I dont think I want my family in one.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

1671264[/snapback]

So, do you have any pictures of a tatum in a similar type crash that would indicate it holds up or protects the occupants any better than that funco did? Do you really think a tatum (or any other) would really do any better in this type of accident? If you don't have anything to back up what you say, then it's just bs imo.

On any given day I see more Funcos in the dunes than any other manufacturer.  Actually, I see more Funcos than any 2 other brands in the dunes.  I dont have any facts to back this up but  these are my observations. 

1671777[/snapback]

Not that I give a s*** or own either brand, but Funcos are more noticeable and are not like any other frame. I will say that I see more Tatums but they blend in with a lot of other brands so people do not notice as much (unless we are talking about the Black Widow).. IMHO

By the way....what does the number of vehicles sold have to do with anything? There are a ton of H2's out there, does that make them better or safer than the H1?? I think not pwrmad.gif

1671805[/snapback]

The only reason #'s were brought up is because the more vehicles a manufacturer has in the dunes the greater the odds of one of them becoming involved in an accident.

Was the car made of 4130 or mild steel?

Was the car made of 4130 or mild steel?

1671834[/snapback]

My Gen 4 is 4130 so my guess would be the same on the Gen 3.

to the ppl talkin about production numbers...what about those standard travel berrain or chenowth vw powered rails???? do you count those? because i know i see alot of them on a weekend or are u just talkin about long travel big name cars????

glad to hear no one was hurt, pismo has been shady to my family too, one cousin was driving my uncles lil standard travel berrain type, and just before dippin into a bowl a quad came and landed on the front, like where the legs and steering shaft runs and everything, luckily that car had an x braceing on it so it didnt crush his legs, and the winshield area was just right so the quad tires wedged into it and was like 6 inches from his nose my uncle made him wear a helmet, because of his height and the roll bar.

a couple years later that cousin's dad had a brand new x5, and it was taken from camp by a friend of a friend of a friend who was staying on the beach, and he wrecked it while drunk at like 2 in the morning, it was pretty bent up yet the guy was fine...until my uncle got to him icon_blackeye.gif

[attachmentid=84808]

1671602[/snapback]

Also, the Funco frame in your picture is completely different than the Big5 and a much better design. I would bet your frame would fair much better in the same situation.

1671627[/snapback]

1671634[/snapback]

I dont care if you dont believe me, call Tatum and Funco yourself, bet you will be surprised!

1671667[/snapback]

So basically you are guessing too. Im just going off the hundreds of Funco's I see in Glamis over a weekend vs. the dozen or so Tatums , but the Tatums are most likely sitting in camp being polished,so I could be wrong pwrmad.gif . Id still like to see some #'s to back up your claim.

1671791[/snapback]

Aww.. you Funco guys are always so sensitive icon_cry.gif

I camp in the south dunes where the duners go and see way more Tatums than Funcos. I am sure at Glamis where the parade gueens go you would see more Funcos pepper.gifpeace.gif

So, do you have any pictures of a tatum in a similar type crash that would indicate it holds up or protects the occupants any better than that funco did?  Do you really think a tatum (or any other) would really do any better in this type of accident? If you don't have anything to back up what you say, then it's just bs imo.

1671830[/snapback]

I didnt want to be overly biased like the Funco owners which is why I never brought up the Tatum name. This was never a Tatum vs. Funco issue to me. But to answer your question, I have seen several Tatums that were in some seriously bad accidents and they all faired quite well and were all repairable. Yes, I think a Tatum would have held up better in a accident like this. Again, this was not ment to be a Tatum vs Funco issue. Whats bs is all you guys thinking Funcos are flawless.

For the record, I dont think Tatum is the best car out there and they are certainly not flawless. peace.gif

Edited by ENDANGERED DUNER

There is some good tech info here, posted by some who actually took this thread seriously. Yet, if you review the 43 posts in the original thread, there's no one who's posting about how only a funco could have kept the occupants safe. So what this thread truly boils down to is "mines bigger and better than yours". And that's what the bench racing section is all about.

[attachmentid=84808]

1671602[/snapback]

1671627[/snapback]

1671634[/snapback]

1671667[/snapback]

1671791[/snapback]

Aww.. you Funco guys are always so sensitive icon_cry.gif

I camp in the south dunes where the duners go and see way more Tatums than Funcos. I am sure at Glamis where the parade gueens go you would see more Funcos pepper.gifpeace.gif

1671888[/snapback]

for the record I dont own a Funco!

moof.gif As long as they were ok it was a well built car, whoever made it.

So, do you have any pictures of a tatum in a similar type crash that would indicate it holds up or protects the occupants any better than that funco did?  Do you really think a tatum (or any other) would really do any better in this type of accident? If you don't have anything to back up what you say, then it's just bs imo.

1671830[/snapback]

I didnt want to be overly biased like the Funco owners which is why I never brought up the Tatum name. This was never a Tatum vs. Funco issue to me. But to answer your question, I have seen several Tatums that were in some seriously bad accidents and they all faired quite well and were all repairable. Yes, I think a Tatum would have held up better in a accident like this. Again, this was not ment to be a Tatum vs Funco issue. Whats bs is all you guys thinking Funcos are flawless.

For the record, I dont think Tatum is the best car out there and they are certainly not flawless. peace.gif

1671899[/snapback]

I don't want to get involved in this thread but I guess I have to. I'm guessing that the Funco is Mild steel which is why it wadded up so bad.

Additionally I just happen to have some picks of a 4 gear multi roll over Tatum crash.

post-3776-1149867034_thumb.jpg

post-3776-1149867045_thumb.jpg

post-3776-1149867058_thumb.jpg

Funco owners are one big family. Always hate to see anyone wreck, get hurt or even die. Someone starts talking shiat and taking shots at Funco, you gotta expect a bunch of support from all the owners. I'm sure you'd do the same for your family.

For anyone that has never owned a Funco, the relationship doesn't end after the sale. There's something about their way of doing business, building relationships and maintaining those relationships long after the sale that makes it a very unique group and really like one big family. No other family I'd rather be a part of. yay.gif

1671830[/snapback]

1671899[/snapback]

I don't want to get involved in this thread but I guess I have to. I'm guessing that the Funco is Mild steel which is why it wadded up so bad.

Additionally I just happen to have some picks of a 4 gear multi roll over Tatum crash.

1672172[/snapback]

Wouldn't a roll over crash affect the car different than a lawn dart crash ?

Not getting on Funco here...but I have NEVER seen a car wad up as bad as a Funco....seems like the only pictures I have seen of a buggy with the entire frame cut apart to extract the occupants have been Funcos.... I have pictures of 4 different Funcos (same model) that are basically unrecognizable after a bad wreck...I know you guys like your Funcos and Im sure they are as safe as any car out there...but after seeing these pictures I'm not so sure I would ever want to own one...

As far as Flashpoints statement that there are hundreds of Funcos out there on any given weekend that is false...there are a lot but hundreds (200-300) is going a bit far...

Edited by Markie_Mark

Dont think I'm going to be able to get the fourth funco pic the guy is trying to get a lawsuit going...

user posted image

2_20_06_153.jpg

2_20_06_156.jpg

user posted image

Edited by Markie_Mark

Which one is trying to start a lawsuit??

I'd love to have a Funco.

None of the ones pictured...dont really want to say unless he approves of letting me put the pic up...

Which one is trying to start a lawsuit??

1672449[/snapback]

A quote from someone that was in a Funco crash

"My seat belt did not tear. What happened was a faulty Heim joint snapped when I came down from a wheelie, causing the car to nose into the sand and basically totally stop at 50-55 mph. The frame caved in around me and the steering wheel and dash slid forward punching me in the face. The 1.25 inch diameter steel shaft that holds the steering wheel bent in half against my face, hitting me end on. Its hard to believe a face can do that and still have the person live (although I almost died). Anyway, the skull and face fractures were so bad that I have permanently lost the use of my right eye (in addition to all my other injuries). The floorboard ripped off the bottom of the car and my legs went through and shattered badly as well."