Not really going to post a full build thread here but wanted to post some updates of what I’ve got going this summer with my sand car.
we bought this car in September and had a great season, during the last trip I found my crank seal had started leaking, so I thought no big deal and I would replace it when I got home. Finished out the trip and the car ran awesome the whole time.
once I got it home I found that my problem was bigger than I was expecting. When I went to replace the crank seal I found a bunch of crank shaft end play, like .060 over spec and knew it was time for a rebuild!
so I pulled the motor and tore it down to asses the damage. I found the crank was grooved pretty bad at the thrust bearing, cylinder scoring, and some other wear. Basically the only reusable parts were the stock rods, block (with machine work) and the heads. This is not going to be cheap!
so I ended up getting a low mile ls2 that was a warranty core that had bent a rod when it hydro locked from a stuck open injector. A friend has had it sitting in his garage for years and wasn’t going to do anything with it and the price was right so I figured I would upgrade from my ls1.
tore down the ls2 and found that it was in much better shape, probably could have got away with putting an o.e rod and piston in and it would run, but I want it reliable!
ended up going with forged h beam rods, forged Wiseco Pistons that will bump compression slightly, a cam spec’d from alper, having the heads rebuilt and ports cleaned up, Melling oil pump, and a bunch of other small upgrades to make it as reliable as possible (should make some decent power to!)
and it it was also time to rebuild the shocks to I figured I would have them cerakoted while I’m at it!