Nice thing about the weaker stuff is secondary (or even primary poisoning) of your dog isn’t super likely:
“SECONDARY POISONING IS UNLIKELY. Back to the original question posed by the homeowner about the cat. Is secondary poisoning possible either via ingestion of the livers of dead rodents, or via secondary ingestion of rodent baits? Well, theoretically it is possible, but realistically, it is highly unlikely. Let’s examine why.
First, most of the anticoagulant baits used for rodent control are formulated with low dosages of active ingredients ranging from 25 to 50 parts per million. Even with primary poisoning or secondary ingestion of bait, a 20-pound dog, for example, would need to consume anywhere from a minimum of 1.6 to 96 ounces of our two most popular bait actives (brodifacoum and bromadiolone) to obtain the value needed for a single-dose poisoning. The range depends on the particular active ingredient, the dog species and several other factors.
Multiple feedings of these baits over a prolonged period would require significantly less dosages. Still, consider the chances of the average client’s cat, dog, exotic animal, etc., encountering and entirely consuming enough rats on a periodic basis to accumulate enough poison to cause true secondary poisoning — not to mention enough rats dying above ground in areas accessible to a foraging non-target animal. Moreover, I personally cannot imagine any companion animal with this type of appetite being taken care of as a “beloved pet” around a typical dwelling.
All this is not to say, however, that secondary poisoning is not possible. The most likely scenario conducive to secondary poisoning would be in those cases of severe or chronic rodent infestations where many rodents (particularly rats) would be poisoned over the course of days or weeks. This would need to be coupled with hungry dogs, cats, or some other free-ranging animal exhibiting a daily opportunistic foraging strategy.”